Wednesday, 10 June 2026

WATCH THIS SPACE EXHIBITION APRIL 2026 - Part 1 - 'Why Not?'

 


So we are in June 2026 already - and I honestly can't believe how quick the year has flown so far! The next few posts are going to be dedicated to an exhibition I took part in April 2026, and I have been wanting to write about this for a while! 

One of my goals for 2026 is to be more authentic and to not be embarrassed to learn and explore the things I'm really interested in, with accepting that I will be rubbish to begin with! I'm really interested in comic book style art and illustrations - and as I've said previously - the people that inspire me most are artists such as Miss Led (Joanna Henly), and comic artists like Jen Bartel, Marguerite Sauvage and Gret Lusky. I really want to improve my drawing skills this year and have also been learning how to use mediums such as alcohol markers and acrylic paint pens. 

In January this year, I began to draw a set of character portraits, loosely inspired by vintage creature feature horror films.  I gathered many references and set out to draw better, learn how to use pens and to enjoy drawing more, without pressure. What I ended up with was a set of characters that I hadn't intended to do anything more with - but to continue learning! However, at the end of February/beginning of March - a friend told me about an exhibition she was organising with Wolverhampton artist Ralph Aldhous at Wolverhampton Arts Centre 11-23rd April - and I found myself really wanting to take part.

Above: The illustrations I made in alcohol markers and paint pens at the start of 2026.

The Wolverhampton Arts Centre is also my studio home and such a beautiful building - it makes me feel inspired every time I walk in - and I love working there. However I literally had nothing new to hang, only older work. 2026 is very much a new chapter for me - I didn't want to enter old work that was no longer aligned with what I was now working towards.  

Recently I'd also been very much inspired by the work of Birmingham artists @ginger_dan and @mixup.jpeg and love their portraits and characters - and also their large scale paintings, competitions and wall art - they're both different artists but they just go all out and go for it!! So I just thought 'why not?' - I'm at the beginning of a new journey - just go for it and see where it leads. So I set about painting 4 of the character portraits I'd recently drawn in pen, and realised I only had about 5 weeks....!

Above: Portraits in progress in my studio

Below: Portraits at my desk at home


I wasn't sure whether I would finish these paintings in time! But I was determined - I really wanted to challenge myself. I wanted to scale up - and I worked on all 4 pieces at the same time, first the outlines, then skin colours, then hair etc. I got them all done and finished on the morning of the exhibition hanging day (the previous 3 days were literally just painting all day straight!) and myself and my partner hung everything in the Gallery Hall at the WAC on the evening. The very next evening was the opening night - which was absolutely packed - and although I was very nervous - it made the whole experience of creating the work and being part of this show so rewarding!

Above: My paintings on display at the Watch This Space Exhibition, 11-23rd April, Wolverhampton Arts Centre. 

Tune into my next post - where I will be talking more about this exhibition, the artists I met - and everything I learned from taking part! Thank you for reading and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment